Principal Engineer: Job SummaryAPPLY
|Principal Engineer||Skipton||Structural Engineering & Design||Permanent||17/06/2021|
We are looking for a Principal Engineer to join and lead the team in our Skipton office.
Reporting to the Design Director, the role holder will manage multiple projects simultaneously including preparation of structural calculations and drawings for building superstructures. Supervision and mentoring of Senior and Graduate Engineers, along with budget and programme control.
Your key responsibilities :
- Adherence to the Integrated Management System
- Undertake concept designs and planning projects at concept stage on a wide variety of buildings
- Production of structural engineering calculations for building superstructures including light gauge steel frames, hot rolled transfer structures, composite floor slabs etc.
- Budgetary and programme control of the structural teams work on individual projects
- Deliver excellent project work within agreed deadlines including establishing client briefs, appropriate fees and commercial management through to completion
- Interact and cultivate relations with clients and other project members
- Monitor site works to establish that it is being carried out in accordance with specifications and method statements
- Keep colleagues informed of important and relevant design decisions and legislation changes to make sure that the objectives of the company and client are achieved
- Represent Sigmat at meetings with clients and suppliers
- Undertake site visits as and when required
- Lead, advise and direct your team in producing designs, carrying out research and providing reports for the required structural works on our engineering projects
- Checking of designs and drawings and other works undertaken by the team, providing feedback and coaching where necessary
- Any other task commensurate with this post
What we are looking for :
- Experience as a lead structural engineer on projects
- Able to demonstrate a thorough knowledge of current codes of practice
- Broad range of engineering skills
- Familiarity with BIM technology
- Comfortable undertaking hand calculations and using spreadsheets as standard, but able to demonstrate ability to use 3D modelling software. Working knowledge of Trimble design software (Tekla Structural Designer) would be beneficial
- Ability to act as a key stakeholder within the team, to work efficiently with other departments
- Bachelor's degree BEng / BSc or Masters degree MEng / MSc that meets the engineering academic requirements for Chartership
- Fully Chartered Engineer or near completion
- CSCS card holder
- Full clean UK driving licence
- Able to demonstrate good people management and leadership skills
Check out our Employee Benefits page for what we offer!
Flexible working may also apply.